Marketing your small business can be challenging, especially when you’re just starting out. Often it’s just not in the budget to go all out. So how does the small business owner or independent contractor get their name out there without breaking the bank? Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Set up a web page. Last year Google launched Texas Get Your Business Online, which offers a free website for one year to any small business in Texas. After that year it’s only $6.99 a month for the domain name and web hosting. There are lots of templates that are easy to customize.
- If you’re a FB user, create a business page. Invite all of your friends, family and contacts and ask them to share. Update it daily with topics relevant to your business. Also do posts to draw people to your page. You might do something like a question of the day, or a recipe of the week. Keep your audience engaged.
- Get your name out there on the web by joining places like Linkedin and Merchant Circle. These are free sites. Check for organizations and social sites relevant to your business and join them.
- Join your local Chamber of Commerce
- Create a newsletter. You can mail this out to clients, do an email marketing campaign, place them around town at local businesses.
- Check with your local paper and see if they have a business card section. These spots are typically pretty inexpensive.
- Order business cards. Vista Print offers decent business cards for a very low price, plus you can post your business card online free. They also have very reasonable prices on other marketing items, like car door magnets, banners, etc.
No marketing plan is going to work for every business. They key is to try different ways of marketing your business until you find what works best for you.